The San Agustin Church was built in 1530 in San Cristobal in La Laguna, which was the first example of a non-fortified colonial city, preceding the new American cities, conceived and constructed following a plan which was inspired upon navigation whose original layout remains intact, being considered the cultural capital of the Canarian Archipelago. The original church was demolished in 1735. The current church dates back to 1748 and was affected by a fire, which took place on 2 June 1964, where the roof collapsed, with the transept remaining along with two lateral naves which conserve their wall plastering and which are separated by Tuscan basalt arches and columns, unfortunately exposed to the elements to the present day.
The intervention shall include the church area and the space occupied by the Bethlemite building, which is to be demolished, except for the load-bearing walls shared with the church structure, those adjoining the school building as well as the walls situated in the Pulpitum.
In relation to the projected structure, the church area only has the new roof, composed of micro-laminated or Kerto-Q 120 x 1,500mm wood beams. The 120mm wide beams have arisen from the gluing together of two 60mm wide elements.
In the area of the Bethlemite building, it has been projected to create a series of areas or spaces employing laminated wood floors which are supported on the walls of the choir, the Pulpitum and perimeter walls, portico columns which are faced with microlaminated wood, and a dividing wall. In areas where there are important cantilevers it has been decided to employ the partition walls as bearing elements to support the upper floors or hang the lower ones.
The laminated wood floors are formed by a series of panels which are glued together where the successive layers are placed perpendicular to one another. This placement of elements in the manufacturing process offers an orthotropic behavior. The fitted elements are normally 208mm deep and are formed by 7 panels which are 2 x 34 + 19 + 34 + 19 + 2 x 34mm thick. The edge panels have been placed in the same direction so as to offer greater inertia and to limit deformations.
The partitioning of the slabs/floors, which have been projected in panels to respect the limitations imposed by the manufacturers, have maximum widths of 2.95m and maximum lengths of 16.50m.